My favorite way to make the frosting is with a little fresh squeezed orange juice. You can also make candy out of the peel!
But you can only find orange juice in plastic, you can use water instead. You can also almond milk or soy milk, but I can only find these in non-recyclable tetrapaks, AKA long shelf life cartons, so I avoid them.
- 1 cup of powdered sugar (bulk section, or packaged in paper)
- 2-3 tablespoons of orange juice or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or other extract (optional, available in glass)
- Pour one cup of powdered sugar in a medium bowl and mix in 2-3 tablespoons of orange juice (or water).
- Stir until well blended, if too runny, add more powdered sugar, if too thick, add more liquid.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight.
- Mix in vanilla extract, this is optional (you can also use almond, orange, or any flavor you like!)
- Spread on cookies.
Want some color in your life?
Add a few drops of All-natural homemade food coloring to really make that frosting pop!